Thursday, March 25, 2010

You know what's John doing (5): Georg Schultes

Whenever we get the chance we ask tournament alums three simple questions. Here are Georg's sanswers:

1) My name is Georg Schultes. Im a 23 year old Austro-Germanic-Brit and a graduate of Imperial College London. :) I played in the Students Matchplay 2007 as Captain of our university golf team and returned in 2009 to help out with proceedings and to offer Val a shoulder to cry on! ;) After finishing my degree at Imperial College London I turned my golfing hobby into my career and now play professionally on the Alps (3rd Tier development tour) and Challenge Tours.

2) My golf career to date has had plenty of highlights including playing at university. As an amateur I had a 62 (-10) and a 63 (-9) in competition, on my way to obtaining a +3 handicap before turning pro. I was fortunate enough to play the Boyd Quaich three times as well as the Students Matchplay which, in my opinion, are amongst the best uni competitions around! If only the SM got us round St. Andrews with the use of the R&A clubhouse! (sorry Mr Thonig, Wittelsbacher comes a close second here! ;) ) [Edit: Mr. Thonig is the manager of the Wittelsbacher and also a member of the executive board of the German Golfers Association. Matt.]

More recently I have enjoyed some success on the Alps Tour and on the Austria Pro Tour, notably finishing 2nd at the Adenbeck Murstaetten event near Graz last year. I've also been fortunate enough to have just returned from a 3 week winter training trip to the Butch Harmon golf school in Las Vegas. :) Daily practice on the range between Nick Watney, Ricki Fowler and Nathalie Gulbis in comfortable 20 degree heat and wall to wall blue sky in February makes it an awful lot easier to drag yourself out of bed in the morning! This year my main aim is to prepare for tour schools towards the end of the year, European Tour 2011?!

3) There are several other uni golfers I met along the way who have joined me in the (not so often) paid ranks. Mark Davies of Exeter university and SM 2007 alum plays on the Alps Tour with me and Andrew Crux who I played with at Imperial had a Challenge Tour card in 2009 are the most notable and I still keep in touch with both. In terms of the Students Matchplay, my best memories include the tour around the Audi factory in 2007, the cars in which they chauffeured us around in (where else would a bunch of students get the keys to those Audi A8 and A6s with students behind the wheels :D ), late nights drinking proper Bavarian beers and of course nursing the "slight" hangovers on the first tee the next morning! :)

Whether first timer or seasoned SM veteran, hope too see you all in Ingolstadt in 2010! Theres always a Maas waiting in the clubhouse! :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Val said...

Georg, you joined the team in 2009. No chance we will let you go... ;-)

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Felix said...

Go 2011, Georg! The best of luck!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home